Skip to main content

The Beast Inside

**Spoilers Ahoy**
The Struggle is Real

I was challenged by a good friend of mine (whose blog I will add to the labels section), to share in a little book group.
The illustrations and story captivated me in ways that I have not been in a very long time. I have never been one for comic books, but this is one for the books (buh duh, tis). My first impression when I read it was just mainly on the end. I suppose it could be that that's the last thing that I read or it could be that it confused me.


Then I thought about it a little more.

Our main character, Colette, is living on her own after her and her long time boyfriend broke up. Her talent of marble carving kept her living in comfort. Her father calls her up for a large commission job only to arrive at a desolate little run down house. It reminds me of the girl from Beauty and the Beast offering herself to the beast in her fathers place. However, instead of being served the high class foods, she's offered squalor. In a sense, challenging her love for her work.

Once settled, Colette begins her work on the marble. She sees the piece and is at first taken aback. This blank canvas being her work,  with the amount she would be getting paid. While studying her blank slate, she's visited by this shadow of a man who commissioned the job in the first place. He could symbolize her personification of her muse. Without giving him a face. 

 It's not her feelings towards him she desires, but finding 
that reason to keep creating for the rest of her life. Once her job was completed and the muse was apparently going to leave, she felt empty. Her father let her down again by leaving with the money but she didn't even care.

Money lost it's value and the finality of that commission piece haunted her. When you finally find the reason and passion for moving forward with your dreams, nothing can stop you.

Was the beast a figment of her imagination holding her back from what she wanted. Her father taking all of her money after the job was done and running away with it? The place she lived in eating little. Her father never reaching out and then suddenly she finds the job of her lifetime. Full marble carving of anything she desired. She hesitated and wanted to see what the monster wanted when it was really what she wanted. She could live one life style with a relationship she didn't see anything further in.

It wasn't even really about staying to live with the beast in an sensually intimate way but the passion in what she wanted. To never think about money or the world again and fall into her own little world of whatever she thought up.

The beast and what he saw in her that she didn't see in herself?

I'm just going to keep asking myself these thoughts until the question seems right.

Until then

I'm also new to all this so bare with me as I learn all the little shindigs and transitions that this site can do. This is just a little sprout right now, so until then. I will write to help it grow. I can't wait to see what this will turn into.















Shout out to Dimery Michaels https://greenlightphilosophy.wordpress.com/ for sharing this wonderful story of passion.


Give it a read! 5 out of 5 marbles.

Comments